Wesley's Chapel

Wesley’s Chapel was built in 1778 by the founder of Methodism, John Wesley. It was designed by the architect George Dance the Younger, the surveyor of the City of London.

To coincide with Aldersgate Sunday, a day of celebration in the Methodist Church calendar, a temporary decorative lighting demonstration was installed around the outside of Wesley’s Chapel, providing an example of how permanent exterior lighting could benefit the site.

Key features included colour change lighting to all external areas, with theatrical lighting used to emphasise the stain glassed windows, and lighting of the Chapel’s organ and ceiling as well as John Wesley’s statue and gravestone.

SHARE

Share page via TwitterShare page via FacebookShare page via LinkedInShare page via email

1778

Wesley’s Chapel first built

1891

Chapel transformed to commemorate the centenary of Wesley’s death

1978

Wesley’s Chapel re-opens after 5-year closure